Posted by: africanpressorganization | 17 January 2009

Democratic Republic of the Congo / UNHCR estimates that LRA attacks have claimed more than 560 civilian lives in north-eastern DRC since September.

 


 

 

Democratic Republic of the Congo / UNHCR estimates that LRA attacks have claimed more than 560 civilian lives in north-eastern DRC since September. 

 

 

KINSHASA, Dem. Rep. of Congo (DRC) January 17, 2009/African Press Organization (APO)/ — Daily press briefing by the offices of the spokesperson for the UN secretary-general And the spokesperson for the general assembly president

 

 

The UN Refugee Agency says that a UN team travelling under the protection of peacekeepers was able to visit the village of Duru in north-eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).  Duru was the scene of repeated attacks by the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA).  Last week the LRA killed 4 residents of Duru and caused the survivors to flee into the bush, leaving behind what UNHCR calls a “virtual ghost town.”

 

The agency says that survivors were however able to meet with the UN team and describe their acute need for immediate food aid and other life-saving help.  UNHCR estimates that LRA attacks have claimed more than 560 civilian lives in north-eastern DRC since September. 

 

 

SOURCE : United Nations – Office of the Spokesperson of the Secretary-General


Categories

%d bloggers like this: