Posted by: africanpressorganization | 25 March 2013

Ntaganda´s arrival in the Hague: “An encouraging sign in the fight against impunity”, said Barbara Lochbihler, Chair of the EP Subcommittee on Human Rights (DROI)


 

 

Ntaganda´s arrival in the Hague: “An encouraging sign in the fight against impunity”, said Barbara Lochbihler, Chair of the EP Subcommittee on Human Rights (DROI)

 

BRUSSELS, Kingdom of Belgium, March 25, 2013/African Press Organization (APO)/ After seven years on the run, the war crimes suspect, Bosco Ntaganda arrived at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in the Hague, after handing himself in at the US Embassy in Rwanda last week.

 

” His transfer from Rwanda to The Hague is an encouraging sign in the fight against impunity, especially for those who long suffered under his acts of war in the Democratic Republic of Congo”, said DROI Chair Lochbihler (Greens/EFA, DE).

 

Full statement below:

 

“I very much welcome the transfer of the Rwandan warlord and former leader of the M23 rebel group in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Bosco Ntaganda, to the International Criminal Court in The Hague. After not less than seven years of waiting and tracking, Ntaganda is going to face the judges tomorrow for the first time, and answer charges of, among others, the war crime of conscripting children under the age of fifteen and sending them to war. His transfer from Rwanda to The Hague is an encouraging sign in the fight against impunity, especially for those who long suffered under his acts of war in the Democratic Republic of Congo.”

 

SOURCE 

European Parliament


Categories

%d bloggers like this: